never in my #colitislife have I achieved that milestone. never before have I gone one full bleepin’ YEAR. Holy POOOOP. this calls for a dance party. and a glass of wine! ha. just kidding. better not… More
Happy 2018 peeps. I am already so thankful to this new year. It hasn’t brought me a flare. nor an unexpected guest IN TO MY BED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. about this time last year, life was a big fat WTF!!! [read all about it]
but aside from that crappy January, looking back at 2017… it was a super great year:
- I went through a terrible flare but then that. was. it. no other flares for 2017!!!
- I received an incredible gift to take care of an unexpected financial burden. THANK YOU. (I need to write a post about what life’s like to have a chronic disease + own a home + be on my own. I should give myself way more credit than I do.)
- I celebrated the big 3-0- ! ‘Bring it, THIRTY. I am ready.‘ (well, not at first I wasn’t. for a while I was dwelling on my original life plan that didn’t pan out. according to the path I was on…by 30 I was ‘married to my #illinoisboy, tag-teaming our own design/construction company together, with a couple of munchkins alongside.’ but then life throws a curveball and we must figure out how to readjust our sails. but I digress. )
- my mom and I crashed a bachelor party in Duluth, Minnesota. LOL omg what a night!!! we were in town for a wedding and after the wedding we googled ‘country bar’ and then there we were! we (mom and I and this group of guys) had the bar to ourselves and we shut the place down! I have the coolest mom ever.
- I finally completed the residential design and decorating certificate I’ve been working towards for the last 3 years, √
- I travelled across the country (O’ Canada) to work THE greatest country music festival. incredibly grateful for the opportunity and fun that was had. the amazing people I met. xo
- I learned that you can’t be everyone’s cup of tea. a healthy dose of heartache is probably needed every once in a while. right?… it made me hate myself but taught me to love myself.
- I travelled to Mesa, travelled to Mesa and then travelled to Mesa ONCE MORE. (!!!) I love that place <3 Arizona is my second home. trying to figure out how I too can be a snowbird.
- I gave ‘online dating’ a try for the first time. more specifically, Tinder (LOL. good god.)
- I came to be good friends with VSL#3 (think I went through a total of 4 or 5 boxes) This has been my first year trying to use it as a preventative measure.. I start taking it as soon as I start feeling like a flare could be close.
- my brother and I got in a lot of bro / sis time. (probably because of breakups and a bad shoulder injury. #silverlinings) family times = best of times.
- I got my first corporate office design project. thank you ♥ Fort Rouge Glass ♥ for taking a chance on me. so so so so grateful. exciting + scary + rewarding
- I volunteered to take on the role of lead events manager for the Crohn’s and Colitis Canada Gutsy and Glamour fund-raising gala. (Manitoba Chapter)
- and the last chunk of 2017 was hard. I went through a solid 2 month run of testing times at work. which forced me to make some changes, set some boundaries, and learn to take care of me first.
- most importantly, embraced the tough times and heartache and LEARNED from it.
here’s my PSA for the year! I just came across a new online health store this morning (yay) and right now it’s 30% off their entire store!! type in FEST30 at checkout. (not sure how long the deal will be on, but my guess it won’t be long) … Continue reading “great deal on Ascenta NutraSea HP High-EPA Omega-3”
this post is going to read like chaos. cause that is how life has felt for the last long while. or maybe it’s more like an intense overwhelmingness. I dunno. all I know is that soooooo much has happened this year. so so much. a TON of good. but since September I’m feeling like life has been testing me and teaching me some harder than normal lessons.
the last 4 weeks in particular have been intense. game-changer / ‘time-to-make-some-changes’ intense. I am truly amazed that I am not in a flare right now because the stress has been out of control. I don’t think, ever in my life, that I’ve felt so mentally + emotionally + physically overwhelmed all at the same time over such a long stretch. and there are some people I’d like to blame for that. but I cannot. because at the end of the day, I am responsible for everything that happens to me. and it’s up to me to not give other people the power to control my thoughts and actions.
If I do not go in to a flare shortly, then VSL#3 and chicken feet are saving my life.
colonoscopy first thing tomorrow morning so we will see what my guts tell mr doc. man.
this is the story of my last colonoscopy. June 3 2016. [I have another one coming up this Wednesday. insert crying like a baby face here.]
so, May 31 was my first official day in remission as there was no blood in my stool that morning. (blood is the last symptom to take a hike when I go back in to remission.)
then the eve of June 2 I am chugalugging 4 LITRES of liquid drugs aka poison toxic overload. (this is one kind of prep that is required before a colonoscopy, to clean oneself out) all the while wondering what it was doing to my recently healed, ever so delicate, intestinal lining…. Continue reading “I hate colonoscopy day.”
please take less than 5 minutes out of your day to watch this. sometimes we all could use a shift in perspective to help be better humans. this video is so powerful and eye-opening.
and if you’re anything like me, grab a tissue.
step one. don’t do THIS↓ all summer long and you won’t have a flare to stop in the first place.
HA. just kidding. the stress from wine deprivation alone would be enough to put me in a flare.
lol. kidding again. kindaaaa.
this summer has been all kinds of cheating when it comes to my diet. actually i’d by lying if I didn’t say this summer AND spring.
when I’m in remission, staying away from ‘trigger foods’ is extra hard because I don’t actually feel sick right after I eat them. for the most part. sometimes I’ll bloat up like a balloon or I’ll get pains on the side of my tummy but the majority of the time if I eat something ‘bad’ I don’t actually feel it doing damage. Until it’s too late. then BAM. i’m in a flare.
to my #ibdfighters reading this: the struggle is real, right? or how does remission feel for you? is it hard to keep the diet tight or easy because you feel sick immediately after you eat something?
so far this time around i’ve been in remission since end of February. so six months.
tonight I actually went out of my way to get some terrible food cause I obviously didn’t have it in the house and I was craving it like crazy.
Kraft Dinner, I hate you, you jerk.
the two glasses of wine I had probably helped bring those cravings on and definitely impaired my judgement cause when I got to Safeway I also thought it was a good idea to get a tub of peanut butter and chocolate ICE CREAM. insert monkey-face-with-hands-over-eyes emoji here. go big or go home, right? #stupidme.
thank goodness I got back in to my exercise routine since i’m back from my #summeradventure and my stress levels have been pretty low :) I think that’s been my saving grace. AND, it’s SUMMER. I really believe that this season helps to keep me in remission. + all the Vitamin D from the sun. work isn’t crazy busy. lots of lake time. beautiful sunsets …..
peace and calm can always be found at the lake.
I am strong and I can do this. back to healthy eating, jenna.
night night, to whoever is reading this. xo.
what I mean by ‘throwing in the towel’ is that I kinda let #vacaymode get in the way and gave up on my stay-in-remission-diet and exercise routine. oye.
I may have gotten carried away with some cheeeeeese tonight. And wine. And gyozas 🙈. And waaay more crap than I should have over the last 2 weeks.
But I am on a #vacay and it’s summer time. Sooooo. I am allowed to stray from the plan, right?
I NEED to stay away from gluten, potatoes and dairy. + a lot of other crap, but those are probably my main 3 intolerances.
But it’s HARD.
More on that later. for now, I have to tighten shit up. Or this could get out of hand and I’m going to wind up in a flare.
Goodnight from Revelstoke, BC. Xo
(I’m staying in an Airbnb and now I am hooked)
at work and i’m ready to go! it’s my #clientsweddingday
I’ve got a long evening ahead of me but i’m excited to be a part of another special day.
*** fast forward thru all the chaos **** I finally have a moment to sit down.
I have a million thoughts going on in my brain right now. trying to weed through them and pick the most interesting ones to share with all of you. well, wait. are ‘all of you’ still out there? or did you stop following me since I’ve kinda been MIA for the last little while!! crazy how I go in to these bouts of ‘just not feeling it.’ [writing/bloggin]
Holy WOW I have THE best family and friends.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart to everyone who took the time to make me feel extra special yesterday. You guys are what make my world go round. YOU are all what make this life so crazy good.
I appreciate the well birthday wishes… texts, fb posts/messages, emails, the meaningful cards. all THE LOVE.
y’all sure make me feel special. Happy happy girl over here. Each and every bday wish I received means so much to me. Continue reading “THIRTY. you feel GOOD. Let’s do this!!!”