Happy 2018 peeps. I am already so thankful to this new year. It hasn’t brought me a flare. nor an unexpected guest IN TO MY BED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. about this time last year, life was a big fat WTF!!! [read all about it]
but aside from that crappy January, looking back at 2017… it was a super great year:
- I went through a terrible flare but then that. was. it. no other flares for 2017!!!
- I received an incredible gift to take care of an unexpected financial burden. THANK YOU. (I need to write a post about what life’s like to have a chronic disease + own a home + be on my own. I should give myself way more credit than I do.)
- I celebrated the big 3-0- ! ‘Bring it, THIRTY. I am ready.‘ (well, not at first I wasn’t. for a while I was dwelling on my original life plan that didn’t pan out. according to the path I was on…by 30 I was ‘married to my #illinoisboy, tag-teaming our own design/construction company together, with a couple of munchkins alongside.’ but then life throws a curveball and we must figure out how to readjust our sails. but I digress. )
- my mom and I crashed a bachelor party in Duluth, Minnesota. LOL omg what a night!!! we were in town for a wedding and after the wedding we googled ‘country bar’ and then there we were! we (mom and I and this group of guys) had the bar to ourselves and we shut the place down! I have the coolest mom ever.
- I finally completed the residential design and decorating certificate I’ve been working towards for the last 3 years, √
- I travelled across the country (O’ Canada) to work THE greatest country music festival. incredibly grateful for the opportunity and fun that was had. the amazing people I met. xo
- I learned that you can’t be everyone’s cup of tea. a healthy dose of heartache is probably needed every once in a while. right?… it made me hate myself but taught me to love myself.
- I travelled to Mesa, travelled to Mesa and then travelled to Mesa ONCE MORE. (!!!) I love that place <3 Arizona is my second home. trying to figure out how I too can be a snowbird.
- I gave ‘online dating’ a try for the first time. more specifically, Tinder (LOL. good god.)
- I came to be good friends with VSL#3 (think I went through a total of 4 or 5 boxes) This has been my first year trying to use it as a preventative measure.. I start taking it as soon as I start feeling like a flare could be close.
- my brother and I got in a lot of bro / sis time. (probably because of breakups and a bad shoulder injury. #silverlinings) family times = best of times.
- I got my first corporate office design project. thank you ♥ Fort Rouge Glass ♥ for taking a chance on me. so so so so grateful. exciting + scary + rewarding
- I volunteered to take on the role of lead events manager for the Crohn’s and Colitis Canada Gutsy and Glamour fund-raising gala. (Manitoba Chapter)
- and the last chunk of 2017 was hard. I went through a solid 2 month run of testing times at work. which forced me to make some changes, set some boundaries, and learn to take care of me first.
- most importantly, embraced the tough times and heartache and LEARNED from it.
Continue reading “Happy New Year and no new flare!”
here’s my PSA for the year! I just came across a new online health store this morning (yay) and right now it’s 30% off their entire store!! type in FEST30 at checkout. (not sure how long the deal will be on, but my guess it won’t be long) … Continue reading “great deal on Ascenta NutraSea HP High-EPA Omega-3”
step one. don’t do THIS↓ all summer long and you won’t have a flare to stop in the first place.
HA. just kidding. the stress from wine deprivation alone would be enough to put me in a flare.
lol. kidding again. kindaaaa.
Continue reading “how I stopped the next flare in it’s tracks.”
this summer has been all kinds of cheating when it comes to my diet. actually i’d by lying if I didn’t say this summer AND spring.
when I’m in remission, staying away from ‘trigger foods’ is extra hard because I don’t actually feel sick right after I eat them. for the most part. sometimes I’ll bloat up like a balloon or I’ll get pains on the side of my tummy but the majority of the time if I eat something ‘bad’ I don’t actually feel it doing damage. Until it’s too late. then BAM. i’m in a flare.
to my #ibdfighters reading this: the struggle is real, right? or how does remission feel for you? is it hard to keep the diet tight or easy because you feel sick immediately after you eat something?
so far this time around i’ve been in remission since end of February. so six months.
tonight I actually went out of my way to get some terrible food cause I obviously didn’t have it in the house and I was craving it like crazy.
Kraft Dinner, I hate you, you jerk.
the two glasses of wine I had probably helped bring those cravings on and definitely impaired my judgement cause when I got to Safeway I also thought it was a good idea to get a tub of peanut butter and chocolate ICE CREAM. insert monkey-face-with-hands-over-eyes emoji here. go big or go home, right? #stupidme.
thank goodness I got back in to my exercise routine since i’m back from my #summeradventure and my stress levels have been pretty low :) I think that’s been my saving grace. AND, it’s SUMMER. I really believe that this season helps to keep me in remission. + all the Vitamin D from the sun. work isn’t crazy busy. lots of lake time. beautiful sunsets …..
peace and calm can always be found at the lake.
I am strong and I can do this. back to healthy eating, jenna.
night night, to whoever is reading this. xo.
what I mean by ‘throwing in the towel’ is that I kinda let #vacaymode get in the way and gave up on my stay-in-remission-diet and exercise routine. oye.
I may have gotten carried away with some cheeeeeese tonight. And wine. And gyozas 🙈. And waaay more crap than I should have over the last 2 weeks.
But I am on a #vacay and it’s summer time. Sooooo. I am allowed to stray from the plan, right?
I NEED to stay away from gluten, potatoes and dairy. + a lot of other crap, but those are probably my main 3 intolerances.
But it’s HARD.
More on that later. for now, I have to tighten shit up. Or this could get out of hand and I’m going to wind up in a flare.
Goodnight from Revelstoke, BC. Xo
(I’m staying in an Airbnb and now I am hooked)
[[International Day of Happiness is March 20th. ]
today is #internationdayofhappiness so for that I am not letting anything get in the way of my happy! I decided I’m GETTING IN that gosh darn pool! Cause holy smokes was it HOT. I should be avoiding chlorinated pools like the plague, but I went for it :) I feel like we always need an exception to the rule. especially on vacation. Right? It’s been 3 days straight of 95 degrees and I’ve held out for this long. But today I said, F* it. i’m getting in pool. AND. my DAD was also in the pool. I think I can count on one hand how many times in my 29 years I’ve had an opportunity to swim with my dad! So there. Definitely worth it.
I think it’s important to not get hung up on the rules ALL OF THE TIME. So we do what makes us happy. AND THAT’S OKAY. Continue reading “ZERO FOX GIVEN cause it’s international day of HAPPY!”